Compagnie des Guides Saint-Gervais / Les Contamines
160 years of human stories and ascents
At the origins of mountaineering in Saint-Gervais
As early as the 18th century, the inhabitants of the valley were already accompanying the first travelers as they discovered the summits. In 1784, Joseph, Jean-Baptiste, and Guillaume Jacquet were mentioned as guides assisting Dr. Michel Paccard, a pioneer of Mont Blanc.
These early beginnings mark the profound connection between the local population and mountaineering, long before ascents became widespread.
The royal route to Mont Blanc
In 1855, the British climbers Charles Hudson and Edward Shirley Kennedy ascended from Saint-Gervais via what would later become the normal route on Mont Blanc: the “royal route.”
Guided by figures such as Joseph-Auguste Octenier, this route quickly established itself as a benchmark itinerary and helped make the valley known throughout Europe.
Official founding in 1864
On 15 April 1864, the Compagnie des Guides de Saint-Gervais was officially founded, becoming the second-oldest guiding company in France after Chamonix.
The goal: to structure the activity, train young guides, supervise clients, and promote the routes of the Val Montjoie.
The history of the Compagnie des Guides
Major first ascents and alpine achievements
1858
Frédéric Mollard and Coleman completed the first ascent of the northeast ridge of the Aiguille de la Bérangère.
1895
Alphonse Estivin opened a new route on the northwest face of the Dômes de Miage.
1926
Léon Orset opened the north face of the Aiguille de Bionnassay.
1932
First winter ascent of Mont Blanc from Saint-Gervais by André Chapelland and Léon Orset.
These achievements helped forge the company’s reputation for excellence and boldness.
Expansion and modernization
1892
Transformation into a Guides Society, with the medal becoming mandatory attire.
1937
There were 42 guides in Saint-Gervais and 16 in Les Contamines-Montjoie.
1965
Merger of the branches of Saint-Gervais, Les Contamines, Megève, and Sallanches under the name Compagnie des Guides Saint-Gervais Val-Montjoie.
2017
A major new milestone: the merger of Saint-Gervais and Les Contamines created the current entity, active across two branches and supported by more than 80 professionals.
The team today
Testimonials and memory
The history is retraced through
The book Les Enfants du Mont-Blanc
published by Guérin Editions
A TV Mountain video
An exhibition at the Maison Forte de Hautetour featuring archival photographs and recent portraits of the guides
The Guides’ Festival
A tradition of solidarity
The Guides’ Festival was established in 1937 to support the Relief Fund, which provides assistance to injured guides or bereaved families.
When and where?
It takes place every first weekend of August, in the height of summer, and brings together locals, tourists, and mountain enthusiasts.
On the program
Ceremonies and blessings of the climbing teams
Demonstrations of alpine techniques and educational workshops
Musical and friendly entertainment
Moments of sharing with the guides and their families
This celebration is more than an event.
It is a living tribute to the mountains and to those who share them with passion and dedication.